Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Hiding away and seeking relaxation

One usually reaches Dhonakulhi island by speedboat
As Mohammad Shafique turned the motorized buggy I was sitting in, onto the wooden walkway connecting the main sandy island to the newly-built water villas, I could distinctly feel a rush of adrenaline pumping through my veins. A long arched walkway lay ahead of me, with stilted villas branching out of it like a palm leaf. I was in Hideaway Spa & Resort, situated in one remote northern corner of the sunny Maldives; and Shafique was going to be my butler for the whole length of my stay there. I had been put into villa no. 25, and when Shafique told me that my villa was situated at the far end of walkway, I could hardly hold my breath. I could imagine very distinctly- a wooden bungalow built over water, with open sea on two sides and having an in-room Jacuzzi bath and also a private pool seemingly merging into the vast blue waters of Maldives. The trance I had got into while imaging all this was broken when Shafique politely asked me to get down. We had arrived in front of my villa, which was going to be my home for next three days. 
Lovely sandy walkways on Dhonakulhi
It was just about half an hour ago that I had stepped onto this beautiful and large crescent-shaped island named Dhonakulhi in Haa Alif Atoll in northern Maldives and tasted the first fruits of their warm hospitality. A scenic 50-minute flight on Maldivian from domestic terminal of Male international Airport had brought me to Hanimaadhoo International Airport- a small airport built on a long strip of land in the northern most part of Maldives. Hanimaadhoo can be termed as a gateway to Hideaway and other neighbouring islands, and Maldivian is the only airline that connects it to the other parts of Maldives, and also to the rest of the world. As soon as I got down the 36-seater plane and entered one-storey airport terminal building to retrieve my baggage, I was welcomed by a nicely-clad young representative of Hideaway who ushered me and five others to the ferry terminal, where a private boat was waiting to take us on a 25-minute journey to Dhonakulhi.

Exciting motorboat ride
The boat ride was a memorable one; this stretch of Maldivian waters is least crowded and I could hardly notice any other vehicle during my 25-minute ride except for some colourful fish jumping out and diving back into the water as the motorboat roared towards its destination.
A speedboat brings you from Hanimaadhoo airport at Hideaway
The boat ride had confirmed my travel agent Crown Tours Maldives’ first claim that Hideaway offered complete privacy by living up to its name. And as soon as I was fondly welcomed with a garland and a sandalwood tilak on my forehead by a smiling young lady, and ushered into a nicely decorated hall near the reception, I saw Crown Tours’ second claim coming true- the ultimate luxury. The whole atmosphere at Hideaway gave impression of pure opulence in its truest sense, and I felt like a prince being ushered into his royal habitat. I was going to immerse myself in grandeur and luxury for the next three days. The reservation manager Shambu- an Indian national- introduced me to my butler Shafique, with a promise to take me on an island tour the next day which he duly and happily fulfilled.

A king-size stay
Staying in a Ocean Villa means dipping yourself in pure luxury
 As I entered my ultra-spacious villa, I was simply awe-struck. Was I in a resort or in some royal suite? A huge double bed, 10 to 12 types of pillows in the bedroom, in-villa dining area, a sitting area outside looking out to seemingly endless blue waters, a huge indoor bathroom with a walk-in closet and free standing Jacuzzi tub, separate glass-walled shower and toilet cubicles, an exclusive infinity pool with sundeck… it felt if I was in some other world.
The days were a bit warm at Hideaway, so I preferred to spend most of my afternoons in the coziness of my luxurious room. And I just couldn’t resist spending my evenings relaxing in the warm water of the infinity pool and then in the in-room Jacuzzi. I could find nothing better to pamper myself before I proceeded to have my dinners in one of the four restaurants of Hideaway. 

The island tour with Shambu
The ultimate Hideaway Palace
It was on my second day there that Shambu took me for the island tour. And on this tour what unfurled before my eyes were pure luxury and enviable variety on offer at Hideaway. The most attractive and lucrative of this variety was indeed Hideaway Palace- a private sanctuary tucked in one fine corner of the island.  Staying in one of the two Hideaway Palaces could be anybody’s dream. A master bedroom, two large guestrooms, an open-air dining pavilion along with an indoor dining pavilion for romantic candle-lit dinners, it seemed perfect for a premium experience for a whole family. And then, Shambu make me visit their beach villas, which seemed perfect for a couple or short family seeking a relaxing time, with a stretch of pristine white sand dissolving in turquoise waters.  

Delicious food, great ambience
Outside of Matheefaru restuarant
Inside of Matheefaru restuarant
Hideaway boasts of five tastefully done restaurants, of which Matheefaru is the biggest one and offers the guests a wide range of international cuisine. It has one of the grandest breakfast buffets in Maldives and I just couldn’t resist myself from tasting each and every food item being offered there. With a French touch to its food, Matheefaru could easily serve as an ultimate destination for food lovers. 
And for a thorough seafood lover like me, I need not go any further than Meeru Bar. A live fish pond there captured my imagination, and then I had the delicious-most lobster of my life. I chose one out of many and Valentine (yes, that was the name of waiter there) deftly caught and got it cooked it for me. A barbequed lobster with chilled beer…I could not have asked for more.

The sunset barbeque
My experiments with food would have remained incomplete, had I not been a part of Seafood Barbeque Party at the Sunset Pool Café on my last day of stay. I was offered to be part of it during one of my lunches at a restaurant and how I could say no! The party was on the sides of infinity pool with sun setting in the horizon… it was a perfect setting for an evening party that offered some of the most delicious seafood recipes from many live counters. And yes, most of the chefs at Hideaway were from Srilanka; and we know Srilankans are placed among the best cooks in the world. And yes, there were some Indian chefs too, offering you delicacies with a warm smile.

Easy accessibility from India
One more interesting aspects about Hideaway that attracted my attention was the fact Indian travellers could go there without even touching Male. In fact, the Maldivian operates a weekly flight from the Indian city of Thiruvanathapuram to Haanimadhoo where the Maldives government has started immigration facilities. So, travellers willing to go to Hideaway can actually bypass Male and cut their travelling cost if they opt for this option.

posted by
AJAY K GARG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Tags